According to Marcy Holmes, NP
One of the most emotionally devastating concerns to a woman is thinning hair and hair loss. This loss can manifest signs of hormonal imbalance, poor nutrition, or illness. Understanding how hair regenerates and paying attention to changes in hair growth and appearance are important to a woman’s overall health.
A certain amount of hair loss is normal, but excessive hair loss and hair thinning indicate that something is amiss. Human beings lose hair (about 50-100 strands) every day. If a woman loses more than that, she ought to consider more natural or holistic solutions. While holistic approaches may not claim to know the ultimate cure for hair loss, they do focus on the “root” of the problem.
Unusual hair loss and thinning occur when a follicle is stuck in the telogen or resting phase. Bald spots occur when a large group of follicles turn off in one place. This process works slowly but for some, it can be severe, causing a clump of hair to fall out. Causes for hair loss are highly individual, but can include any combination of the following:
1. Stress (emotional and physical)
2. Hormonal imbalance, specifically androgen sensitivity
3. Change in hormonal birth control
5. Immune system irregularities
6. Yeast overgrowth or fungi
7. Thyroid disorders
8. Crash or liquid protein diets leading to sudden dramatic weight loss
9. Nutritional deficiencies (especially vitamin D, vitamin A, iron, and protein)
10. Cosmetics (allergies and harsh treatments)
12. Dental treatment
13. Blood loss
14. Medications (including anticoagulants, anticonvulsants, antithyroid medication, and hormone therapy)
15. Severe psychological distress or life-threatening situations
19. Hair-healthy nutrients
20. vitamins B, C, D, and E, calcium, magnesium, copper, zinc, and iron, fish oil with essential fatty acids
Hair appears to be amazingly adaptive, which is why so many scientists believe that a cure for hair loss is just around the corner. But in the meantime, women should not give up. A majority of women with moderate hair loss will notice big improvements just by paying more attention to their stress levels and nutrition.
To learn about more about what you can do to improve hair loss or thinning hair, click here.